Monday 27 February 2012

WHERE I'M FROM

Wassup guys,

Almost a week ago, on my way home, I got a call from a dj friend who not only inspired me into becoming a dj, but a guy who has become a big brother to me. He told me he was around Soweto and wanted to know where I was. Sometime back I had wanted to meet up with him but because of our busy schedules, we couldn’t meet. Seeing as he was around Soweto, he thought it best that we meet up so we could talk. Feeling tired and not being in the mood, I really wasn’t up for meeting up with anyone. I just wanted to be home by myself. He told me he was at the house of another big dj from Soweto who in my opinion has inspired just about every dj that comes from this massive township. I was asked to come over to his house so we could talk (as per our arrangement). Again, it really was not my intention to go there. I was after all tired and not in the best of moods but for some reason or the other, I found myself driving towards the direction of this dj’s house. I got there and found these two dj’s hanging out, laughing, sharing jokes about their travels around South Africa and experiences they had been through. Needless to say, I was drawn towards their conversation, and jokes. The genuine love, respect and overall bond that these two “massive” individuals had, blew me away instantly. As we were joking around, sharing a drink from the same bottle and eating from one plate, at the back of my mind there was so much going on and to a degree, I became somewhat emotional about what was going on. Bear in mind that these two individuals have been in the forefront of the dance culture in South Africa. They have shaped the djing industry in more ways than a lot of you reading this blog can never imagine. They practically carried this industry and made me, and a thousand other dj’s become household names. One would think that these achievements would go to their heads and they could never sit in the same room because they are so “big”. Sure they will never have the same interests all the time and yet, the can drive to each other’s houses, laugh and share ideas with each other.

You may be wondering where I’m trying to go with all of this. Well, I have been djing for many years now. I have been inspired by these two gentlemen in more ways than any of you can ever imagine. I come from an error where djing was done for the sole purpose of love and a genuine willingness to entertain. I come from an error where dj’s would wake up early in the morning, catch taxis to 5 different record stores in and around Gauteng in search of that one record that will rock the crowd. Yes, these guys would travel from Horizon View, to Orange Grove right up to Pretoria searching for one...just one record that would make you, the party goer have a good time. I come from an era where people would go to a party to dance, and not hang around in the corner of a club to see who’s wearing what and who’s rolling with who. I come from an era where girls would go to a party and not have to fear that some guy would want to harass or ask for telephone numbers, or even try hustle a one-night stand. Girls would go to a party to really enjoy themselves and not look at who the other girl was with. I come from an era where dj’s would willingly share knowledge without the fear of thinking that the other dj was “out to get them”. I come from an era where dj’s would go to a party to support each other…genuinely. Not to go to a party so that you could hear if the other dj’s mixing was crap or if he was playing music that is known by the general public. I come from an era where people would go to a party and pay at the door, and not have to hustle or look for their names on the guest list, because they understood that the person organizing the event was also trying to make a living. I come from an era where dj’s would be genuine enough to sit down with the next dj and tell them where they were going wrong.

 Ladies and gents, times have changed. Technology has evolved. There is no need for dj’s to wake up in the morning to catch 5 different taxis to go buy records at 5 different stores. Technology has made it easy for the world to become “one”. Unfortunately, the complete opposite of this is happening. I see dj’s drifting further and further away from each other. I see a lot of animosity amongst dj’s and party goers. Music is supposed unite all kinds of people and cultures from all over the world, but all I see from these social networking websites and the parties that I go to, is hate and jealousy amongst people. Ladies and gents, I took a drive to a house of one of the biggest dj’s in South Africa and I managed to laugh and learn a few things about this industry.  I wished the night would never end. I looked at these two individuals and had a lump in my throat as we parted ways. The older generation united and they built the industry into a respectable one when no one was willing to take dj’s seriously. One would think that we would carry the legacy on and make the bond even stronger. Unfortunately, I don’t see all of that happening. I would like each and every person reading this blog, that genuinely loves djing and the overall dance industry to sit back and think about where this industry comes from, and where it is going. Think about all the things that inspired you into being involved with this industry and think about these older dj’s and realize that there is NO hate amongst these guys. Think long and hard, and ask yourself, “WHAT HAPPENED?”

No comments:

Post a Comment